Monday, March 24, 2014

If you give a boy a cake...

We were finally able to properly celebrate L's first birthday and my boy did not disappoint!  We like to keep things low-key and celebrated with our friends, Brittni and Vickie.  Nannie (my mom) was supposed to be in attendance as well, but she got tied up with work.  Evidence that work is lame.

We began by opening presents.  L was not terribly interested but, lucky for him, Big Brother S was very happy to tear the paper from the gifts and dig into the new toys!  What would the world do without big brothers who are ready and waiting to steal your thunder, I mean, help out? 

 






After presents, the big moment had arrived: CAKE!  I shall admit here and now that I used a box mix and canned frosting to make this cake.  Somewhat blasphemous in this day and age of organic/grow-the-wheat-grind-the-flour-make-everything-from-scratch, which I am typically obliged to do.  However, it has been a busy month and I was tired.  Plus, if you can't consume chemical laden sweets on your birthday, when can you consume them? USA! USA!

Side note: has anyone else noticed that the more technologically advanced we become, the more there is this movement to recapture the old ways of doing things?  I think this is most evident in the realm of food; shunning the technologically altered food for that which is "organic" or, really, the way food used to be grown and prepared (let's not ignore the interest in vintage fashions, up-cycling, etc).  This is not a criticism, but I find it to be an interesting juxtaposition. I, too, prefer to recapture the ways of my great-grandparents: growing a garden, storing up food via canning, preparing things from scratch with love and a bit of elbow grease.  Okay, back to the reason you're here...the Birthday Boy!




 
 
"Did I do that?" (use your Urkle voice when reading this caption)
 
A good time was had by all, and isn't that what makes the best birthday memories?  I have no idea what I would do without these crazy boys in my life.  Besides their father, they are by far two of the biggest blessings I have ever been given.  The sacrifices I have made truly do not compare to what they have added to my life.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats to you and the family. I am so enjoying hearing about your days! Brings a smile to my face every time I read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zac says L looks like he is foaming at the mouth or pretending to be Santa! I am just glad he is here - because that boy just makes the world a whole lots brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He does, doesn't he? I, too, thought about the "foaming at the mouth" comparison. Which truly isn't far off base because L could NOT WAIT to dig into that cake!

    ReplyDelete