Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tender Mercy? Try Miracle!

We are fortunate enough to own two cars: a 2008 Jeep Patriot and John's Kia Race Machine aka a 2001 Kia Sephia he bought brand new when he was 18 years old. 

There is nothing innately fancy about the Kia Race Machine.  It has a standard transmission, you have to manually unroll the windows and unlock the doors.  It's at a point in it's life where the radio doesn't always work, so you get the opportunity to drive around in silence.  Particularly fun with children or an overly-talkative person in the car!

This car has nine lives.  Sure, it's got dings and knicks crunches, but it keeps hanging on.  Everyone close to us has experienced the Kia Race Machine.  This last year it has had a number of issues, all that we've fixed, but the fear is that it may be on it's last leg.

The Kia Race Machine:  Keep on keepin' on


We had to take the car into the mechanic yesterday and leave it over night.  As a consequence, the boys and I woke up at 4:00 am to take John to work.  As many of you with toddlers know, this can be a terrifying experience.  The boys were in good spirits all the way to John's work and did not freak out when he left.

On our way home, I talked with them about how "it is still night night.  When we get home, we need to lay back down and take a little rest before breakfast."  They weren't thrilled with that plan and they made sure to let me know.

Upon arriving home, I wrestled them upstairs and back into their room.  The whole time I kept thinking, "S has preschool at 9:30 am. How am I going to get these boys back to sleep so they are not wrecked for the entire day?"

I put them in their beds, they cried.  I gave them cars, they cried.  I turned on night lights, they cried.  I sang to them for 20 minutes, they cried.  Finally, I asked them to say a prayer with me.  I prayed and said something like this: "Heavenly Father, I know you can help these boys return to sleep.  We have such a big day ahead of us and I want them to be happy.  I want them to have fun.  I know you love them and you want them to have a good day as well.  Please help them to return to sleep."  After closing my prayer I decided to have faith that Heavenly Father would help me and the boys.  I KNEW He would help them sleep, and quickly banished any doubtful thoughts.

I shut the door, entered my bedroom and, this is not a joke, within 60 seconds heard complete silence.  S and L share a room and typically spend at least 20 minutes playing, laughing and/or screaming.  Not this time, though.  Not a peep.  They slept for the next 2 1/2 hours before I woke them for breakfast.  If this wasn't a miracle wrought by the hand of the Lord, then I don't know what is.

I know God hears our prayers.  I know God cares about the small things in our lives.  I know He is ready and willing to bless us with miracles when we are in need and have faith.  I know God loves us.  I know God loves you.

I just hope He loves the Kia Race Machine enough to pull it through its latest malady.  :-)

The boys reading their favorite periodical: The Auto Trader.  They're always on the look out for our next vehicle.

*Update* The Kia Race Machine is back on the road and ready to party!  Two miracles.  BOOM.

2 comments:

  1. I love this Brooke! There has been more than once when I was at my whits end with my adorable, yet stubborn, children, and the only thing I could do was pray. It not only softens our hearts, but theirs as well. We are given the inspiration we need, or given those miracles that show us Heavenly Father knows our personal needs. Your boys are so lucky to have you as their mommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kati! When I find myself in a tough spot I just say to myself, "What would Kati do?" Works every time!

      Delete