Wednesday, January 28, 2015

V-Day Prep

I really do love Valentine's Day.  I know it's highly commercialized and was likely created to sell cards, chocolates, etc. but, I can't help it!  A celebration of love is wonderful and so badly needed in this crazy world.  Admittedly, I was less fond of V-Day when I was single.  I now wish I had focused more on the people in my life that  I loved and whom I know loved me instead of focusing on what I thought I lacked.  In reality, I never lacked anything.  I was always surrounded by love even if it wasn't romantic.

Another thing I love? Novelty shirts for my boys.  It's not hard to find Valentine's Day garb for little girls or babies, but boys older than 2, well, there's a serious lack of options.  Instead of banging my head against a brick wall I decided to search Pinterest for ideas and I found this adorable gem compliments of Emily from The Boy Trifecta: Robot Love Valentine's Shirt

I decided to give it a shot.  To recreate this look I purchased (or had in my stash):

Two toddler size shirts
Fabric for Robot
Robot Template (you can use Emily's, but created my own)
Thread
Fusible Web
Black & Red Embroidery Thread
 
 I scored the t-shirts on clearance at Target for $3 a piece, bringing the cost for this project to $6.

 


 
 
I purchased my robot fabric, fusible web and embroidery thread at JoAnn's, for $7.13.  I already had thread and the cardstock I used for my template.  Grand total for two shirts: $13.13.  Not bad.
 
 
 
Of course, if we wanted to be technical, we could add the cost I originally spent for the thread, cardstock, and add a monetary value to my time,  but I don't feel like being a nerd.
 
I followed Emily's instructions.  I won't detail them here, because I want you to visit her site.  This is, after all, her invention.  I did make my own tweaks: I outlined the heart with black embroidery thread and I made my own template with my own dimensions.
 
 
 
And, drum roll please, here is the finished project!
 
 
 

My sewing is a bit wonky in places (i.e. the robot ears), but my whole life is a bit wonky.  The only thing I've ever done perfectly is bring two perfect boys into the world (and I can't even take full credit for that).  Oh, and beat my sister Samantha in everything we've ever competed at.  Everything else? Wonky.  I've learned to like wonky, so it's okay.
 
Plus, I usually sew under these conditions:
 
 
 



3 comments:

  1. What a delightful shirt! Especially with all the help you got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hunky model and fix-it man you have! Can you send him my way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea!! Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete